A few months ago I got bronchitis and had a seriously sore throat – so one of my friends, who is also a nutritionist, brought me this. It made me feel better almost immediately and it was a serious life saver. Now, whenever a friend or family member is sick I make them a batch and since it’s 100% natural, there is no need for buying more chemical cough syrups from the drug store.
Step 1: Ingredients & Supplies…
- A small mixing bowl
- A container to hold the final product in
- A mixing spoon
- Honey (or better yet, Manuka honey) – a study at Penn State College of Medicine concluded that honey can work better to cure a cough than over-the-counter drugs as it helps sooth and coat irritated membranes
- Ginger (fresh or ground) – spicy ginger works as an expectorant, helping loosen and expel mucous from the lungs
- Pepperexcellent for coughs as it helps chest congestion and mucous
- Thyme (fresh or ground) – as well as having anti-microbial properties, it also relaxes the muscles of the trachea and bronchi, opening up the airways
Step 2: Mixing…
- Mix 8 tbsp of honey with 3 tbsp of warm tap water
- Add in thyme, pepper and ginger (add 1.5 tsp of each)
- Whisk quickly for roughly two minutes or until the texture is even and consistent.
This can keep good for several weeks in a cool, dry location and in a well sealed container. The quantity above will get you through a few days and after that you can make another batch if needed.
NOTE: although it may not sound… delicious, I actually very much enjoy the taste. The spicy ginger mixed with the sweet honey tastes lovely. Although you probably won’t be chugging this by the gallon, if taste is still very important to you you could try adding a few squeezes of lemon.
Step 3: Finished…
Well done you are now finished! Now you can light up someone’s day by giving this to a sick family member, friend or just use it for yourself. I recommend taking 3-5 teaspoons a day, but you can take as little, or as much, as needed (via Instructables).